[Pythonmac-SIG] Problems wrapping

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Wed Oct 29 07:17:51 EST 2003

On 28 Oct 2003, at 23:55, Robb Brown wrote:

> Thanks for the help some of you gave a month or so ago with my project
> to wrap dcmtk (a DICOM medical image transmission toolkit).  I've
> figured out how to compile it as dynamic libraries on OS X.  Python
> wrappers work better now.  Unfortunately, there's still a problem.
>
> When certain functions are present, importing the module will hang
> Python.  Commenting out these functions lets the module import and you
> can use what's left.  How come this code hangs Python right when
> importing?

See if you can find out what it does when it hangs. The first step
would be to use "python -vv", which will trace all imports (and all
places it looked before importing). The next step is to set the dyld
debug environment variables (see "man dyld"), which will trace the
dynamic loading of code. Then you could try to do a system call trace
(see "man ktrace") while importing. Finally you could try running
python under gdb, hitting control-C when it hangs and see what it's
doing.
--
Jack Jansen        <Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl>        http://www.cwi.nl/~jack
Goldman