[Pythonmac-SIG] Please explain this PackageManager message

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Sat Oct 18 18:38:31 EDT 2003

On Saturday, Oct 18, 2003, at 18:13 America/New_York, Jack Jansen wrote:

> On 17-okt-03, at 23:05, Lance Boyle wrote:
>
>> While downloading PyObjC 1.0 using PackageManager, I get this message:
>>
>>   Not all files were unpacked:
>> Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/bin/nibclassbuilder
>>
>> What does this mean? Do I need to do anything?
>
> This error message is indeed obscure, and I'm looking for a better
> one. The
> problem is that it can really mean different things in different
> circumstances:
>
> 1. If you do a "current user only" install of a package then anything
> the
>    package tries to install outside of site-packages (like header
> files, or
>    scripts, as in this case) is not installed. This is really an error
> by
>    the scapegoat, as there is a way to list all the expected skips in
> the
>    database.
> 2. If you do a system-wide install, but some directories are not
> writable
>    you also get this message. This probably means that some directories
>    were expected to be writable but weren't. This can be either a
> scapegoat
>    error or a user error.
>
> The net result of all this is that you don't have the nibclassbuilder
> command line tool.

2. could be remedied in a future version of PackageManager with the
Authorization module that I released.  It's not the user's fault that
they don't have permission to that folder, it's probably some
installer's fault.

Just FYI, this weekend I'm writing an ObjC wrapper for the
SystemConfiguration framework (I expect to finish it tonight or
tomorrow), which gives us access (via PyObjC) to a whole slew of things
including but not limited to network and proxy settings, which would
also be useful for the next iteration of PackageManager among other
things.