[Pythonmac-SIG] Can we solve the "two Pythons on 10.3" problem?

Stuart Bishop stuart.b at commonground.com.au
Sat Nov 29 01:21:05 EST 2003

On 28/11/2003, at 9:39 AM, Jack Jansen wrote:

> Problem 3. ~/Library/Python/2.3/site-packages is shared between the
> Pythons. This
> is the one I don't really have a solution for that I like, so fire
> away.
> Solution 3a. For 2.3.3 we use a different path. Don't like this
> because it'll
> also reflect on Jaguar users upgrading (who suddenly lose their
> personally installed
> packages).
> Solution 3b. We recognize that this is really a general problem, and
> warn
> in Package Manager when you're installing extension modules into the
> per-user
> directory.

Is this a problem? Bummer. I always thought the reason the patch release
number wasn't included in the path was that this didn't matter, so I'll
assume this is due to strange linker issues I avoid by refusing to write
any code that needs to be compiled :-)

If 2.3.3 runs modules from 2.3.0, but not vice versa, it would be
possible
to add both ~/Library/Python/2.3.x/site-packages *and*
~/Library/Python/2.3/site-packages to the python path, in decending
order.
So a module installed using Python 2.3.0 would be available to Python
2.3.3.
There might be some user confusion when a package installed with 2.3.0
is upgraded with 2.3.3 , but the net gain might be positive.

> Problem 4? I haven't tested yet what happens when 2.3.3 installs a
> different Apple Help Book from the standard one. I hope the new one
> overrides
> the old one, but I'm not sure. If in stead the old one overrides the
> new one we have no way of using the Help Book to give information on
> the
> issues above.

I'm probably totally misunderstanding this area, but I did notice that
the Python documentation never appeared in the help viewers Library
menu until after it had been launched the first time (so it may simply
be a case of installing the new help files, and then telling the
Help View to open then from this new path).

- --
Stuart Bishop <stuart at stuartbishop.net>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/