[Pythonmac-SIG] MacPython logo redux

John Miller jmillr at umich.edu
Tue Nov 4 16:05:52 EST 2003

On Tuesday, November 4, 2003, at 03:52 PM, W.H.Offenbach wrote:

>> I don't terribly object to the snake, and prefer a stylized one to a
>> photorealistic one, but I think we may unnecessarily push some
>> people's buttons by placing a snake in such close proximity to an
>> apple (biblical fall from grace story).
>
> With all due respect, the fall from grace followed when A&E became
> aware, started to know.
> Besides, the bible doesn't say "apple" it just mentions "fruit".
> Making it an apple is man's invention (either by tradition or
> translation), not the snake's.

Yes, I agree. It's just that the proximity of the snake and the apple
in the graphic is suggestive of the story and may cause unnecessary
avoidance by some. ("Lead us not into temptation...") Also, the use of
an apple in an app's icon, as others have said, is somewhat redundant
on a Macintosh and is not very common.