[Pythonmac-SIG] 2.3b1 installer options

Kevin Ollivier kevino@tulane.edu
Mon May 5 17:02:09 EDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jack Jansen" <Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com>
To: "Just van Rossum" <just@letterror.com>
Cc: "Kevin Ollivier" <kevino@tulane.edu>; <pythonmac-SIG@python.org>
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2003 8:01 AM
Subject: Re: [Pythonmac-SIG] 2.3b1 installer options

> On zondag, mei 4, 2003, at 20:29 Europe/Amsterdam, Just van Rossum
> wrote:
>
> > Jack Jansen wrote:
> >
> >> PackMan imports wxPython to test its existence, but doesn't do
> >> anything more with it.
> >
> > I don't think it's a good idea to blindly import things. Why not use
> > imp.find_module()?
>
> Hmm. The test is actually in the database, per package, and for most
> packages I not only import the main package but also test
> package.__version__
> or whatever it has to obtain the version number.
>
> I could use imp.find_module to test wxPython existence, but then I
> can't think
> of a way to test the version. I would prefer it if "import wxPython" had
> no side-effects:-)

I think I can see what is going on here. From the PM crash log, I can see
calls to the wxMac event handlers on various threads. My guess is that means
that the event handlers are somehow being started when the library is
initialized (or the Python init code somehow causes the wxMac application
init code to run), and that causes wxMac to intercept AppleEvents and
probably other events sent by PM. Of course, it isn't set up to handle them
properly, and so you get a crash.

I'm going to forward this along to the wxMac/wxPythonMac lists to see if
anyone has a idea on a fix.

Thanks,

Kevin