[Pythonmac-SIG] State of Python on the Mac

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Sun, 2 Mar 2003 21:47:45 +0100

On zondag, maa 2, 2003, at 20:50 Europe/Amsterdam, Just van Rossum
wrote:
>> Address Book cannot import contacts
>> from a tab-delimited text file, only from a silly LDIF file or
>> vCards. With enough work, AppleScript can parse the tab-text file and
>> convert it to LDIF, but it would be very slow. Python could do that
>> much faster - or maybe you could do it within AB somehow with a Cocoa
>> combination.
>
> FWIW, in the PyObjC project there's an interface to the AddressBook
> framework plus a simple demo.

This would make a nice demo of the two technologies, then. There could
be a Cocoa-based version that uses the AdressBook framework and a Cocoa
GUI
and a Carbon version that uses AppleScript to talk to Address Book.

And possibly there could be a command line tool that requires that the
TSV
file has the exact names of the fields in the first line of the file.
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -