[Pythonmac-SIG] file creation dates

Eric Nieuwland eric.nieuwland at xs4all.nl
Fri Jun 6 21:47:39 EDT 2003

Russell,

Welcome to the wonderful world of UNIX!
Ctime is the last time there was a change to the 'inode'. Inodes are
what a UNIX file system is made of: they are the administrative units
that represent files/directories/... Each time an attribute like atime,
mtime, owner, or group is explicitly changed, ctime changes. Thus, if
you write to a file only mtime changes but if you 'touch' a file (i.e.
manually change mtime) then ctime changes, too.

--eric