[Pythonmac-SIG] two-level namespaces enabled?

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Thu, 2 Jan 2003 22:11:18 +0100

On donderdag, jan 2, 2003, at 21:04 Europe/Amsterdam, Kevin Altis wrote:
 > [...] I asked Bill for an
> explanation and he suggested...
>
>> From: Bill Bumgarner
>>
>> On Thursday, Jan 2, 2003, at 00:10 US/Eastern, Kevin Altis wrote:
>>> I was a bit surprised when I ran the cmdLife.py program on my Mac.
>>> /usr/bin/python (Apple) takes 38.8 seconds pretty consistently and
>>> /usr/local/bin/python (2.2.1 framework build) takes roughly 43.3. Not
>>> sure what that means, but it is a 10% difference.
>>
>> In any case, this is likely because the Framework build is not built
>> w/two level namespaces enabled and, as such, is causing an extra
>> indirection when dispatching calls into other frameworks [or something
>> like that].

Bill,
could you explain this, please? Why would building without two-level
namespaces cause extra indirection? I'll also look into building with
two-level namespace, there was a reason originally why I didn't do it
for the framework build, but it may well have been solved in the mean
time (I think it was the environ problem). Still, I'd like to know why
flat namespaces could cause a significant drop in performance...
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -