[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Extension module binary compatibility

John Ehresman jpe@wingide.com
20 Feb 2003 16:15:49 -0500

On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 15:39, Bob Ippolito wrote:
> sys.executable is usually enough to tell if it 's framework or not.

Do you look for the substring "Python.framework" in the path of the
executable?

> However, there is only one 2.2 non-framework interpreter around that
> lives in /usr/bin.. so I would only do binary distributions for the
> /usr/bin python right now.  There's at least 3 other pythons around,
> and you can pretty much let:
> (a) the people that compiled their own python compile their own modules
> (b) let the people distributing their own framework python also
> distribute all of the binary modules for it
> (c) let fink maintain their own distribution.

But then there are people like myself that compile stuff and put it in
/usr/local/bin or even somewhere under my home directory (if I didn't
have root / administrative privileges).  I think it's preferable to not
depend on python being in a particular location because then people can
have more than one version on their machine; e.g. one with debug
symbols, one without.  Also, it allows people to ship a version of
python with an application.  We do this with Wing so a user on Linux who
only has 2.2 on his/her machine can run Wing without also installing
python version 1.5.2.

I don't know if this is possible on OS X, but it's one of the things
that nice about the Linux build of Python as opposed to the win32 build,
which has some of these same issues.

John