[Pythonmac-SIG] Later release of Python with MacPython on Jaguar?

Brian Lenihan brian_l at mac.com
Wed Dec 10 02:55:57 EST 2003

On Dec 9, 2003, at 2:07 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> Brian - These scripts are cool, but he is a Jaguar user and thus
> doesn't have this particular issue.

Whoops.  In that case, all I did on Jaguar was use a much more simple
version of the script that
switched between /usr/bin/py* and /usr/local/bin/py*   And yet another
script that enables and
disables Fink's Python(s).

> Gay - There is no reason why you can't build and install a later
> release of Python *instead of* installing Jack's MacPython.  However,
> you may not be able to use PackageManager, and you definitely should
> not attempt to have both yours and his installed at the same time
> (they want to live in the same place, and their site-packages want to
> live in the same place, etc).

Which is a big part of the reason I automated the process so I could
run whichever version I needed
or wanted to run without having to care about the potential conflicts.
The most annoying feature of
OS X to me is the difficulty of running multiple versions of Python
concurrently like I can on the other
two most popular operating systems.

Well, I should say Solaris is now poised to become really, really,
really big in China in the next five
years, but it behaves like any other Unix as far as Python is concerned
(more or less).