[Pythonmac-SIG] Newbie question on MacPython--Carbon & Cocoa

Ronald Oussoren oussoren at cistron.nl
Mon Dec 8 06:26:37 EST 2003

On 8 dec 2003, at 9:58, Kevin Walzer wrote:

> I'm a newbie to programming and I'm starting with Python because the
> language is both simple and powerful. As a Mac person, though, I'm
> interested in developing small GUI applications. I have played around
> a little bit with Pythoncard and wxPython, and it seems to be a good
> combination, but I'd prefer to take advantage of  OS X-specific
> technologies for the interface.
>
> My question concerns the integration of Python with the Carbon and
> Cocoa environments. Is it possible to build a GUI for MacPython with
> Interface Builder via the Carbon modules? The documentation I've read
> is not clear on that point.

There is an Carbon.IBCarbon module, that probably can be used for this.

> The same question applies to Cocoa via the PyObjC bridge. Could one
> build a GUI with Interface Builder if the PyObjC bridge  is installed,
> with Python code on the back end? Does PyObjC translate cleanly
> between the two languages?

Yes, using Interface Builder was one of the explicit goals of the
PyObjC rewrite of last year.

> If the answer to both questions is yes, which is simpler to work with?

I don't know Carbon.IBCarbon, but PyObjC is pretty easy to work with.
The big advantage of Cocoa over Carbon is that Cocoa is an
full-featured OO framework.

Ronald