[Pythonmac-SIG] libxml2 on 10.3 (Panther)

Tony McDonald tony.mcdonald at ncl.ac.uk
Fri Dec 5 06:02:23 EST 2003

On 5 Dec 2003, at 09:43, Jack Jansen wrote:

>>> You ask me:-) Actually, you find a couple of people who are
>>> interested, and ask me all together.
>>>
>>> If the package needs some additional stuff then you can speed things
>>> up by providing me with a complete recipe of what to download, where
>>> to put it and which commands to run.
>>>

>> curl -O ftp://xmlsoft.org/python/libxml2-python-2.5.4.tar.gz
>> tar xzvf libxml2-python-2.5.4.tar.gz
>> cd libxml2-python-2.5.4
>> sudo python setup.py build install
>
> Ok, that's easy enough. I've added libxml2 to the official PackMan
> database, for Panther only. libxslt will have to wait until someone
> does the work.
> --
> Jack Jansen, <Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl>, http://www.cwi.nl/~jack

Thing is, the latest libxml2-python is 2.6.0 (I believe). BUT, I've had
real trouble getting that to work. This is with 2.6.0;

     import libxml2mod
ImportError: Failure linking new module: : dyld:
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3//bin/python
Undefined symbols:
_htmlCreateMemoryParserCtxt
_htmlCtxtReadDoc
_htmlCtxtReadFd
_htmlCtxtReadFile
_htmlCtxtReadMemory
_htmlCtxtReset
_htmlCtxtUseOptions
_htmlReadDoc
_htmlReadFd
_htmlReadFile
_htmlReadMemory
_xmlBuildQName
_xmlCleanupGlobals
_xmlCtxtReadDoc
_xmlCtxtReadFd
_xmlCtxtReadFile
_xmlCtxtReadMemory
_xmlCtxtReset
_xmlCtxtUseOptions
_xmlErrMemory
_xmlInitGlobals
_xmlReadDoc
_xmlReadFd
_xmlReadFil

However, if you follow the instructions above, you'll get libxml2
python bindings that do work (barring a few memory leaks).

tone.
--
Dr Tony McDonald, Asst Director, FMSC. 0191 245 4223
Project Manager, FDTL-4 ePortfolios http://www.eportfolios.ac.uk/