[Pythonmac-SIG] PackMan->ChapMan

Glenn Andreas gandreas at delver.com
Sat Aug 2 14:30:29 EDT 2003

At 7:26 PM +0200 8/2/03, Ronald Oussoren wrote:
>On Saturday, 2 August, 2003, at 17:51, Kevin Altis wrote:
>
>>>From: Kevin Ollivier
>>>
>>>I personally like Package Manager. I don't think the name is boring, in
>>>the sense that when someone hears of something called "Python Package
>>>Manager" I think their reaction will be "Cool, where can I get it?!"
>>>;-) In this particular case, Package Manager so accurately sums up its
>>>purpose that it seems the natural choice.
>>
>>+1
>>
>>Package Manager is a tool that doesn't need a clever name. It will just
>>confuse users to call it Chapman.
>
>I agree. An important reason for having the Package Manager is that
>less Unix-savvy (sp?) users can install new python packages,
>"hiding" the package manager application doesn't help with that.
>Sometimes boring is usefull.
>
>Ronald

As much as I like obscure references, Chapman goes beyond me.
Looking it up in dictionary.com shows definitions such as "itinerant
peddler" (and has derivations from "Chap" which is "to cheapen").
Things like "Valet", "Porter" or even "Concierge" are a bit more
common place and have connotations of people who carry stuff/provide
services/fetch packages, etc... but "Package Manager" definitely
summed up what it was and what it did.

But hey, I also like real snakes...

Glenn Andreas                      gandreas at delver.com
Author of Macintosh games: Theldrow 2.3, Blobbo 1.0.2, Cythera 1.0.2
Be good, and you will be lonesome