[Pythonmac-SIG] OSX Install and Test Report

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Sun, 27 Oct 2002 17:31:29 +0100

On zondag, oktober 27, 2002, at 12:23 , Dan Shafer wrote:

> Install went fine until I got a dialog warning me that
> ConfigurePythonCarbon would probably fail. It did. Turns out
> you have to be root to install this version, apparently. Once I
> logged out and came back in as root, everything went smoothly.

You definitely shouldn't be root when installing MacPython. The
failure you encountered isn't the one the warning message was
about, but another failure (because of a difference in
permissions on Jaguar).

Now that you've installed MacPython as root it may be best to
uninstall it (remove /Applications/MacPython 2.2.2, and all
files in /Library/CFMSupport with "python" in their name) and
start again (as a normal user with admin privileges) once I've
uploaded a new distribution (later today).
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
- If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution --
Emma Goldman -