[Pythonmac-SIG] Let's do it completely different!

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 10:26:52 +0200

On Friday, Oct 25, 2002, at 03:32 Europe/Amsterdam, John W Baxter wrote:
> Before we get too optimistic about what Apple might do in the way of
> including what we want as the Python installation, keep in mind we're
> talking about the same Apple whose QuickTime 6.0.2 installer is broken
> on
> machines whose owners have replaced the supplied Perl 5.6.0 with the
> newer
> Perl 5.8.  (Reference http://www.macfixit.com for October 24.)

An error like this will probably occur only once (like the unquoted
filename error you referenced later in the post). Apple engineers are
getting used to the fact that they have preflight and postflight
scripts that they can write in any language that is installed. Now that
they've shot themselves in the foot with QT 602 they know that unix
users can and will install other versions of Apple-supplied scripting
languages they will cater for it (either by testing their scripts with
a couple of newer releases of the scripting language, or by enforcing
that the correct version of the language interpreter is chosen).
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -