[Pythonmac-SIG] Unix vs. Mac

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 23:02:56 +0200

Well well, this unix-vs-mac discussion is the closest we've had
to a flamewar since the SIG's inception (and, luckily, still
much closer to reasoned discussion than to a flamewar).

I just want to let everyone know that whatever I distribute as
MacPython-OSX will have two faces: on the one hand there will be
a 100% normal unix-Python available somewhere for people who
know and love unix[1], on the other hand it will be possible to
do everything a long time long time Mac user may want to do
without ever having to touch the Terminal window[2].

The footnotes:
[1] In one distribution this may be the pre-installed
/usr/bin/python. In another distribution it may be a normal
Python but living in a funny /Library/Frameworks location, but
aside from that be 100% normal.
[2] Users should be able to install/uninstall modules (and
MacPython itself), for instance. An exception may be made for
packages that come as C source: for these the user will have to
load the developer tools anyway (which MacPython will not
require) so I assume by the time they've crossed that bridge
they should have lost their fear of the shell.
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
- If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution --
Emma Goldman -