[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: lets do it really different | let's not and say we did.

Chris Barker Chris.Barker@noaa.gov
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 09:58:24 -0700

kevin parks wrote:
> 2. Anyone savvy enough to be writing python scripts is smart enough to open the terminal and type % cd /usr/local/bin ; ls

yes, but that doesn't mean they want to. Your point about Linux is true,
but if someone is really happy in that enviroment (like me, for
instance) then they will use Linux, and not OS-X. OS-X appeals to folks
that don't want to type things on the command line.

Also while the folks doing real development with Python will mostly be
OK with a little command line action, that doesn't mean that the users
of the programs they write will be. I envision using Python to write all
sorts of littel applets and scripts for my wortk, and I want to be able
to distribute them to my non-programmer co-workers easily. Having an
easy-to install Python distibution is key to this.

> repeat after me: Unix good, csh powerful, OS 9 goodbye
> Unix good, csh powerful, OS 9 goodbye

Believe me, that is my constant mantra, but if OS-X offers anything that
Linux doesn't, it's the "Mac experience", and people do like that.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker@noaa.gov