[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Novice Just Starting

Bill Bumgarner bbum@codefab.com
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 09:19:10 -0400

There is a third flavor of python for OS X;   the fink build of python.
   It includes Tk support (among other things).

See fink.sourceforge.net for more information -- there is 10.2 specific
installation instructions (and Fink works very well under 10.2).

To install X:

     fink install xfree86-rootless-threaded

Then, choose your favorite desktop environment or window manager.  Both
KDE and Gnome are available.  Personally, I chose blackbox-rootless...

     fink install blackbox-rootless

... because it is simple and works well in rootless mode (i.e. when X
does not take over the entire screen).

To install python + Tk:

     fink install python

The end result does require that you have X11 running prior to starting
up a Python+Tk script.  This isn't a big deal as the Fink build of X
includes XDarwin.app in /Applications/.

Fink also includes postgres (with python bindings)...

     fink install postgresql-ssl-python

... will take care of installing postgres, all necessary ssl related
components, python and its dependencies, and the postgres<->python
bindings (oh, cool, with PyObjC, I can easily build database driven
apps using postgres and the python bindings to that database!).

b.bum