[Pythonmac-SIG] Compiler required?

Dan Brotsky dev@brotsky.com
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 11:28:05 -0700

Jack,

I just want to remind you of an issue that I always worry might get
lost as MacPython development continues...

On Friday, October 18, 2002, at 02:08 AM, Jack Jansen wrote:
> But if you're not interested in OS9 then there's no reason not to
> switch to the unix tools.

That's not quite true.  If your OS X app uses an existing Carbon-based
plugin mechanism or UI framework (which many do :^), then you may need
to run PythonMac-OS9 (Carbon) even if you only run on OS X.  It can
take a while to port all those wonderful Carbon plugins you call from
Python, or that cherished UI framework your Python is embedded in, and
in many cases that may not be at the python developer's discretion.
Until Apple releases their easy-to-use trampolining in both directions,
many of us will be using PythonMac-OS9 on OS X.

     dan