[Pythonmac-SIG] Bringing Tkinter windows to the front: some new info

Russell E Owen owen@astro.washington.edu
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 10:34:52 -0800

I received the following from a Tcl/Tk discussion list about problems
bringing Tk windows to the front. I've edited it a bit:

>>this is a know problem that we hope to solve eventually, but according
>>to Jim Ingham it needs an SPI that's not publicly available yet.
>
>...we use 'wish' as a back-end for creating GUI applications from
>Erlang and had the same error message. For us the patch
>
>   http://www.erlang.org/ml-archive/erlang-questions/200210/msg00148.html
>
>seem to solve the problem,
>
>kent

...CPSEnableForegroundOperation is really an SPI, not an API, and the
CPS guys asked me not to use it in Tcl/Tk.  They may make it public
or not, hard to say.  That is why I didn't add this to Tk...

The more likely solution to this problem, at least for us, stems from
the fact that it is really a bug that when the CPS goes to figure out
whether a binary it has been handed is a GUI App or not, it doesn't
notice that the app it has been given is actually a link, and resolve
the link before looking around to see if it is in an App package.  If
they did this, then the link would point back to the real wish which
actually IS in an app package, it would get registered as a GUI app,
and everything would be fine...

The CPS folks agree this is a bug, and they are going to fix it.
Dunno when it will get into a release, however...

Jim