[Pythonmac-SIG] MachoPython 2.2.2 build question

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Fri, 8 Nov 2002 09:19:29 +0100

On donderdag, nov 7, 2002, at 19:55 Europe/Amsterdam, Russell E Owen
wrote:
> - First try: unpack 2.2.2 and:
> ./configure --enable-framework
> make
> sudo make install
>
> This results in a Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.2
> which contains, among other things: bin/python
> (Note that the contents of 2.2 are totally unlike those of 2.3, and
> that no Current directory was created.)

This sounds like a bug. Could you file a report at sourceforge so that
I get to look at it before (if ever) 2.2.3 comes out?

As a workaround, go to /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions
and type "ln -s 2.2 Current".

> This runs if I do the following (though it kills my Terminal session
> when I exit Python):
> cd /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.2/bin/
> exec python

That's what "exec" does. It says "replace the current shell with this
command". You use it in shell scripts to get rid of the shell that runs
the script, but you shouldn't use it on the command line. Simply type
"python".

> However, I cannot get exec to run from any other directory. For
> example:
> % exec /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.2/bin/python
> dyld: /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.2/bin/python
> can't open library: Python.framework/Versions/2.2/Python  (No such
> file or directory, errno = 2)
> Trace/BPT trap

This is probably a result of Current missing, the problem above.
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -