[Pythonmac-SIG] MachoPython 2.2.2 build question

Russell E Owen owen@astro.washington.edu
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 16:54:57 -0800

I tried to build MachoPython 2.2.2 with aqua Tk and ran into a snag:
Tkinter acts oddly.

- Tcl/Tk 8.4.1 built just fine and Wish Shell seems to run (I've not
done anything much with it, just launched it).
- Python built just fine, as well. I modified setup.py to what I
believe are the CVS patches to setup.py so it can find aqua Tk and
then did the usual ./configure, make, sudo make install dance.
- make test worked fine (just as well as for 2.2.1; test_sax and test_pyexpat
are unexpectedly skipped)

- However, the aqua Tkinter fails strangely:
% python
Python 2.2.2 (#1, Nov  5 2002, 15:52:41)
[GCC 3.1 20020420 (prerelease)] on darwin
>>>  from Tkinter import *
>>>  root = Tk()
this puts up a Tk root window, as usual, but whenever I try to click
on the Tk window, I get:
>>>  SetFrontProcess failed,-606

I've tried running larger Tkinter applications and get the same
thing. The Tkinter application occasionally responds if you click
often enough, but basically it always stays in the background.

Any hints?

-- Russell

P.S. I plan to post instructions if/when I figure this out. I have
the page all ready to go except for this serious setback.