[wxPython-mac] Re: [Pythonmac-SIG] Wanted: working example of CFBundleTypeRole Shell

Bob Savage bobsavage@mac.com
Sat, 09 Mar 2002 00:17:36 -0600

on 3/8/02 12:11 PM, Chris Barker wrote:

> Personally, I've always thought this was a fundemental flaw in the MacOS
> paradime: the one-to-one file-application association.

> Enough ranting. I had hoped OS-X would have come up woth something
> better. IN any case, if you have a one-to-one association with a *.py
> file, I certainly hope the OS gives you a way to choose that
> association. Differnet people are going to want different things.

All of this bit about adding extra filename extensions is way off. MacOSX
does not work this way. We should **NOT** create a new file extension for
the IDE, etc. just use .py like every other platform (and .pyc for
compiled).

MacOSX has an "Open with" feature, it is found in the inspector, not
contextual menus. Show the Inspector, click on the file, and select "Open
with..." you can select from a popup of known applications that handle that
kind of file (Finder maintains a database) or you can select a different
one. You can also select to have this apply just to this file or to all
files with that file ending. Clearly the best thing is to have the one file
ending with a default to something that will run it via the interpreter, and
people already have the option to change a specific file to open in the IDE
if they should so choose (or BBEdit, etc., it is up to the user). Making it
so that the filename has to be changed back and forth is just a waste of
people's time.

Bob