[Pythonmac-SIG] The signal module

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 10:58:45 +0200

On Wednesday, July 31, 2002, at 09:50 , Yair Benita wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am trying to compile biopython for the mac but I get an import error
> for
> the signal module (no module error).
> Can anybody tell me what is the signal module and how do I get it?
> I use python 2.2.1 on macos x.

Yair,
the signal module is used on unix to catch OS-generated exception
conditions. This ranges from "user pressed control-C" (SIGINT) via
"floating overflow" (SIGFPE) to signals for programming errors (illegal
instruction, access violation).

if you're using unix-Python (also known as MachoPython or command-line
Python) you should have the signal module. If you don't there's
something strange going on with your Python.

If you're using MacPython then you don't have the signal module: the
concept of "signal" doesn't exist in the Classic/Carbon world that
MacPython lives in.

How to fix this depends on how the signal module is used. If it's used
to detect "unexpected" errors you may be able to simply do away with it
(or add a lookalike module that does nothing). If it is used to detect
"expected" errors (like floating overflow or underflow) you may have
more of a problem.
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -