[Pythonmac-SIG] Extensions for static versus frame

Robin B. Lake rbl@hal.epbi.cwru.edu
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 14:46:50 -0400 (EDT)

With respect to the packaging of Python ...

I was a very early user and evangelist for Python.  However, as Python
has grown and spread, it takes a fanatic, not an evangelist, to deploy
it.  When it was a Mac (Classic) tool and didn't try to be the Universal
Solvent on all platforms, there were just a few bits of juggling and
incantation that were required to get it to run.

Now, it seems that one can't even select the appropriate flavor of
Python to install and the "rulebook" for getting it up and going rivals
a Congressional appropriation bill.

I'd pay real-money for a retail shrink-wrapped package with decent
documentation and a CLEAR explaination of the (OS X) installation
procedure(s).  Yes, I've been to the Web site;  Yes, I have a half-dozen
Python texts;  Yes, I'm afraid to install it.

Cheers,
Robin Lake, Ph.D.
Environmental Modeling Inc.
Cleveland, OH