[Pythonmac-SIG] A question about embedding with Mac OS X Carbon

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 23:13:09 +0200

Jay,
you're getting up to speed on a rather complicated and
convoluted build pretty quickly! Congratulations!

On maandag, juli 15, 2002, at 09:26 , Jay Koutavas wrote:
> Cool, so I went and used the shipping PythonCoreCarbon  library
> with my application. It initializes well with this opening code:
>
> [...]
>
> However, shortly later, my application crashes when it attempts
> to load one my custom resource types, a type of resource I've
> been using for months before I introduced Python to the mix. If
> I don't make the above two calls to Python, then the error goes
> away.

PyMac_Initialize() opens at least one resource file. So if
you're getting your resources with the "1" variation
(Get1NamedResource() and such) it won't work because the Python
resource file is now at the head of the list. Try UseResFile()
on your own resource file after initializing Python.

> When I tried to build PythonCoreCarbon "out of the box" I get
> GUSI compile errors. I'm using the latest GUSI, 2.2.2,
> downloaded from Source Forge. The compile errors, when I try to
> build PythonCoreCarbon are:

[...]
> I get the impression that GUSI 2.2.2 isn't Carbon ready.

the standard GUSI isn't Carbon ready. You should load the GUSI
from http://www.cwi.nl/ftp/jack/python/mac . This should be in
the MacPython README file or in the :Mac:Demo:building.html
documentation. Let me know if you think it needs to be more
prominent.

(Note that the changes for Carbon are in the GUSI repository, so
if you're building GUSI from CVS you simply need to check out
the right branch. Don't know the name of the branch right now,
but it's something obvious like "CARBON").
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
- If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution --
Emma Goldman -