[Pythonmac-SIG] threads in OSX IDLE

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 22:20:46 +0200

On dinsdag, juli 2, 2002, at 06:14 , Jeff Senn wrote:

> I just built the Mac OS X python with frameworks & Tkinter out
> of CVS and
> installed idle as tony suggests
> (http://tony.lownds.com/macosx/tkinter.html)
>
> If I type the following into the resulting IDLE Python Shell window,
> Python crashes:
>
> --snip--
> def foo():
>   print "hello"
>
> import thread
> thread.start_new_thread(foo,())
> thread.start_new_thread(foo,())
> --snip--
>
> ...um... is it supposed to work?

Have you tried threads in IDLE on other (non-OSX) platforms? I
could imagine that threads and IDLE (or even threads and
Tkinter) don't go together. Note that I say "could imagine",
I've never tried it and I haven't heard that it doesn't work,
but I can imagine problems...

If it works on other platforms then try getting a stacktrace:
start Python under gdb and get a traceback after it crashed.
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
- If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution --
Emma Goldman -