[Pythonmac-SIG] dynload_next

Marcel Prastawa prastawa@cs.unc.edu
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 15:15:32 -0500

Steven Majewski wrote:

> BTW: Did you acatually test that dynload_next  with VTK ? I would think
> that what you describe is similar to the case for the Carbon libs, which
> do appear to work. (At least I don't get any errors on loading them --
> I'm trying to merge the resources so I can test them more completely.)

Yes. With the PRIVATE flag set, some of the bundles would not be able to
find the symbols in the other bundles. VTK is a cross-platform library,
and it (sort of) assumes that the Python extensions are libraries.
This is true for ELF systems:
http://fink.sourceforge.net/doc/porting/shared.php

Can we build the Python extensions as dynamic libraries instead of
bundles? I think I saw several NeXT functions that might be useful for
doing the loads (NSAddImage and company).

There may be problems, though. The note from Fink claims that dynamic
libraries cannot be unloaded. Any thoughts? I am clueless about these
NeXT-ish things...

Now, this is a bit off-topic. Is there a way to link a bundle to another
bundle? If there's a way to tell bundle B to go look up some symbols in
bundle A, it would really help. I think that there is none, but I want
to pass this question to the list just to make sure.

Marcel