[Fwd: Re: [Pythonmac-SIG] OS X import bug?]

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.nl
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 15:24:20 +0100

On Saturday, January 26, 2002, at 01:53  PM, Marcel Prastawa wrote:
> Out of curiosity, is the 'identical binary name' problem with
> dynload_next a MacPython problem (that we could work out) or is
> it a problem with the OS X framework?

My feeling is that the problem is with dynload_next.c, which is
a very old file that hasn't seen any development for many years
(between NeXT's near-demise and OSX's appearance). The problem
is exacerbated by the fact that the APIs used in dynload_next.c
or very poorly documented, if at all. My guess (can anyone
confirm this or point me to more info?) is that the
NSIsSymbolNameDefined() call at the beginning is incorrect, and
will return the wrong module upon import of a second module with
the same name.

Maybe someone who is experiencing the problem can comment out
that quick-return section and see whether dynload_next.c then
works as expected? Or will we then immedeately run into flat
namespace problems (two routines called initfoo)?
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
- If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution --
Emma Goldman -