[Pythonmac-SIG] Knock me over with a spoon! [was: getting at the XML in nib files]

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.com
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 17:36:44 +0100

On Friday, January 18, 2002, at 03:52 , Steven Majewski wrote:

> BTW: I did these tests with Python2.1.2. The pyobjc on SourceForge
> ( either the .so or building from tar ) still works with 2.1.x .
> It doesn't work with 2.2 (intentionally -- a version mismatch)
> and when I try to build using 2.2, it builds, but on import, I get a:
>
> 	ImportError: Failure linking new module
>
> so something has to be different in the build. Anyone have a guess?
> I've stepped thru in gdb and found where it's getting an error
> but I'm not sure what that means.
>
> Jack -- I looked thru the Makefiles for both versions of Python
> looking for a difference in library link options -- I couldn't
> find a likely culprit, but maybe I was looking in the wrong place.
> Do you have any notion about what needs to change ? Maybe this
> is an issue with the newer developer tools?

Could you give some (as detailed as possible) instructions as to how to
get the ObjC module and how you've built it? Then I'll try and find the
time to give it a spin. Or, preferrably, someone else will beat me to
it:-)

The error, incidentally, is NSLinkModule() failing, down in
dynload_next.c. You could try setting some of the DYLD_xxxxx environment
variables or running under gdb to see what the problem is. Maybe 2-level
namespaces, maybe an external from Python you use that was there in 2.1
but missing in 2.2 (but you should have gotten a warning on compilation,
because the prototype will also have gone).
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -