[Pythonmac-SIG] Slimmed down framework

Adam Eijdenberg adam@switchedonsoftware.com
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 17:05:58 +1100

I'm working on an app that embeds Python 2.2 using the framework, built
from the Unix sources. I was about to copy the whole lot over  to
another machine when I realised that my app was 125 KB, and the
framework 62 MB!!!

At first I thought this may be due to a proliferation of headers and
other documentation, but inspection revealed that 58.3 MB is contained
within the lib folder, and then 38.3 MB of that is from the lib-dynload
folder.

Basically all I want the user to have access to is the raw language and
built-in types (strings, arrays, dictionaries etc.). Other libraries are
not vital at this stage.

Can anyone give me a pointer on what files are safe to delete, and what
implications these have. ie, delete x, then change line in file y etc.
I'm not that familiar with how all the bits and pieces of Python slot
together.

Once I get that under control I'll post a slimmed down framework if
there's interest.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Adam Eijdenberg