[Pythonmac-SIG] Fwd: Apple Design Awards Update: Open Source Category

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 10:43:28 +0100

Folks,
Apple have just added a category "best open source product" to their
yearly design awards.
How about giving it a go and trying to win that award with Python?

We have until April 5 to enter, which gives us almost 6 weeks. The
question is: what would we need (that we don't have yet) to win, and can
we do that in 6 weeks?

Here's my list of things we definitely need:
- The IDE (no idea how far along that is)
- The OSA component (no idea how easy this would be to integrate.
Actually, I have for the second time forgotten who did this! Sorry,
please speak up!)
- universal newline support (should be trivial to drop in)
- Bells and whistles, such as BuildApplet, EditPythonPrefs and
BuildApplication (but these should probably be built in to the IDE, not
as separate apps)
- A nice installer that also installs the /usr/local/bin symlinks for
unix to use, etc.
- Packaged documentation, preferably in a form that Apple Help can read
(plus hooks in the IDE to get at the docs).
- Consensus on how we're going to split the dual G4 we're going to win:-)

I think what would make this a potential winner is that it covers three
programming areas (unix scripts and CGI, Applescripting, standalone Mac
development) and that it is the only tool that does all three. All
competing languages cover only one or at most 2 of these areas (Perl: 1,
Applescript: 23, Tcl/Tk: 13, Java: 13).

Begin forwarded message:

http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -