[Pythonmac-SIG] Confused at the state of Python for OSX

Samuel Smith smithsm@samuelsmith.org
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 13:14:35 -0700

  I religiously read the macpython sig and it is impressive how much
activity there has been the last few weeks. So much so that I am now
officially confused.
I have been preparing to make the jump to OSX as my day to day OS
from OS9 and am just about there. But I can't figure out which
version of Python I should use.

There are posts referring to what I believe are 3 versions of python
on the Mac for OSX?. Regular Unix python, MachO Python, and Carbon
MacPython.

To complicate things there is the fink installation of MachO? versus
the cvs source installation.

I used to use Unix on a daily basis a few years ago so I am not
afraid of the Unix version but I am confused vis a vis MachO python.

It sounds like they can coexist.

There are so many reports of problems that I am not sure which one
will be most productive for me.

Would someon who has a clear picture of the current state of python
for OSX care to elaborate or at least point me to a readme that is up
to date?

  (I know its been discussed before but things are changing so fast)

Samuel M. Smith Ph.D.

360 W. 920 N.
Orem, Utah 84057

801-226-7607 x112 (voice)