[Pythonmac-SIG] First Experience, Unix Python vs. MacPython and Science

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.nl
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 14:17:34 +0100

>> I've got the source files for "Unix" Python 2.2. It built like
>> a charm and passed all tests after "limit stacksize 2048". Now
>> I want to rebuild it with readline support and whatever
>> modules you think I should use. Also, I'd like to hear from
>> you about the "--enable-framework option", is it a good idea?
>> Should I create a Python.app via "./Mac/OSX" ?
>
> Readline is pretty good.  I wouldn't use the --enable-framework
> option.  I've not been able to get it to work.  I end up with a
> framework containing some binaries that I can't get to execute
> from the command line, due to path issues.

Wild guess: maybe you used "make install" to install in stead of
"make frameworkinstall"? I know that *I* still do that
accidentally from time to time (so it'll be fixed in the next
release:-).

>   (Perhaps the ObjC [bundle pathForResource: ofType:] methods
> could be used to make the binaries smarter?  I've done
> something like that for a Lua Framework.  But that's a
> digression.)
>
> If I were you, I'd stick with Unix python.  It's just easier,
> if you already have unix experience.  (I was migrating code
> between a Solaris machine and my Mac, so it was a natural fit
> for me.)

Also, unix Python is the wave of the future. And most, if not
all, MacPython functionality will be migrated to it.

>> I've seen a couple of packages that I'm interested about,
>> specially numpy and scipy.

One of the reasons to use MacPython might then be that NumPy is
bundled with it, so no need to install or build anything to use
it.
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
- If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution --
Emma Goldman -