[Pythonmac-SIG] Tkinter support for Carbon - I give up.

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.nl
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 23:18:54 +0100

Folks,
I'm going to give up on supporting Tkinter under Carbon. Over
the last week I've lost many hours trying to beat
_tkinter.carbon.slb into shape, with no effect. I've tried
various devious approaches, such as linking against both
CarbonLib and InterfaceLib, using the PseudoCarbonLib from Tk
8.3.2 (when I finally managed to find and download it:-) and a
couple of other things, but I simply cannot get it to work: the
mouse problem and the delayed even problem keep happening (or I
simply can't get the thing to run at all).

So, unless someone else wants to take over: there's not going to
be Tk support in Carbon MacPython.

That, however, means I want to put an earlier issue back to the
vote: should MacPython 2.3 be Carbon-only or both classic and
Carbon? People overwhelmingly voted for Carbon-only in December,
but that was when Tk support under carbon still looked possible.

There is a third possibility: that MacPython 2.3 has limited
support for classic PPC: a ClassicPythonInterpreter only, no
support (or limited support) for a classic IDE and other
goodies. This will mean that IDE development can go fully Carbon
and not be hampered by classic, while people who want to run
occasional Tkinter scripts can still do so.

So: let's have your votes, or if there are alternatives I
missed: speak up!
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
- If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution --
Emma Goldman -