[Pythonmac-SIG] compiling woes with libart/distutils-related project

Dinu Gherman gherman@darwin.in-berlin.de
Wed, 06 Feb 2002 14:15:58 +0100 (CET)

William Noon <noon@snow.nrcc.cornell.edu>:

> Dinu -- You ran into the standard problem where Apple changed the
> linking rules in OS 10.1.  They have made -two_level_namespace the
> default and that requires special handling in most third party
> software.
>
> You may be able to just rebuild python 2.1 to get distutils to put
> in the right flags.
>
> I have been using python 2.2 (cvs) build as a framework with
> reasonable success.
>
> I just updated and built the rl_addons after modifying setup.py
> 'cause the sys.platform is now 'darwin' not 'darwin1'.

Thanks... I guess this is a distutils issue then, isn't it?

But for the fun of it I downloaded fink and installed it as
desribed on this page (hoping to install Python 2.2 with it):

  http://people.ucsc.edu/~jacobkm/tkinter_osx_howto.html

but then installing xfree86-base failed, so I added the
string unstable/main to /sw/etc/fink.conf as described in
the section "The longer version:". It failed again, giv-
ing me this:

  [localhost:/Users/dinu] root# fink install xfree86-base
  [...]
  gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
  tar: unexpected end of file in archive.
  ### tar failed, exit code 2
  Unpacking the tarball X420src-1.tgz of package xfree86-base-4.2.0-4 failed.
  The most likely cause for this is a corrupted or incomplete download.
  Do you want to delete the tarball and download it again? [Y/n] n
  Failed: unpacking tarball X420src-1.tgz of package xfree86-base-4.2.0-4
failed

Unfortunately, SF is extremely slow right now, and regu-
larly interrupts started fink installs, but even when
a full package is downloaded it still seems to fail as
shown above...

Quite puzzled,

Dinu