[Pythonmac-SIG] Mac{ho}Python architecture ready for review

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 23:57:54 +0200

On vrijdag, augustus 2, 2002, at 10:21 , Ronald Oussoren wrote:
>> - Even if the framework is owned by root I don't understand
>> why this should be a problem... Where did things fail?
>
> The problem was that the framework was not writeable by me. In
> general I try to avoid having files that are writeable by me
> outside of my home-directory. It is a bit inconvenient, but
> helps me from accidently trashing my system. But, even if *I*
> have write-access to system directories, I don't want other
> users to also have write-access to those directories (not that
> I normally share my machine with other users, but this is an
> issue for centrally managed systems)
>
> It fails like this:
> IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
> '/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Mac/Tools/IDE/Widgets.
> rsrc.
> df.rsrc'

Ah! That's an interesting problem...

Here's what's going on, maybe someone here has good ideas on how
to solve it.

The ".rsrc" files in the CVS tree aren't actually resource
files: they're resource files encoded as AppleSingle. This is
the way MacCVS manages to store two-fork files on a CVS server
that is blissfully unaware of this Apple-ism. The macresourced
module is aware that a .rsrc file can be either a bona-fide
resource file or an AppleSingle file. In the latter case it
decodes the file and caches the result as a ".rsrc.df.rsrc"
file, with the resources in the data fork. But: if you can't
write the directory where the .rsrc resides this fails.

Storing the files as datafork-based .rsrc files in CVS will make
life miserable for me when building on OS9.

Checking the files out with MacCVS will make the standard unix
tarball distribution non-functional on OSX.

Hmm, I could probably pre-convert the files while installing,
similar to the precompilation step for .pyc and .pyo files....

Could you file a sourceforge bug report for this, please, so I
won't forget?
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
- If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution --
Emma Goldman -