[Pythonmac-SIG] Mac{ho}Python architecture ready for review

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 22:11:09 +0200

On vrijdag, augustus 2, 2002, at 09:47 , Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> Let me join the 'me too' parade...
>>     import waste
>> ImportError: No module named waste

Ah, that's the culprit! The IDE needs the waste module. The
waste module will be built by the toplevel make, but only if it
can find the waste library. You have to get the waste
distribution (from www.merzwaren.com), and make sure it's
reachable as one of "../waste", "../../waste", etc. It's
probably best to put a symlink "waste" beside the Python
distribution that points to the right location.

I'll add a better error message to the IDE, and some building
notes to the README.

> BTW. I only got this for after I did 'chmod g+w' on the
> Python.framework (my Python.framework  is owned by root:admin),
> this may be the indication of another problem: Apperently
> normal users need write access to the python installation. IMHO
> this is something that should be avoided.

Hmm, my Python.framework is owned by jack.admin. Two questions arise:
- How come yours is owned by root? did you do a "sudo make
install"? I think I suggested that at some point in the past,
but I've since then come to the conclusion that this isn't a
good idea. So if there's anywhere where this is still suggested
I'd like to know where.
- Even if the framework is owned by root I don't understand why
this should be a problem... Where did things fail?
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
- If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution --
Emma Goldman -