[Pythonmac-SIG] What slows down python? (OS X python question)

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 23:15:58 +0200

Recently, Nathan Heagy <nathan@vividworks.com> said:
> > Same here: I haven't noticed that python is slow (haven't done any
> > benchmarks either!) running, but 2.2* definitely has a much slower
> > startup compared to either 2.0* or 2.1*.
>
> I wonder how much faster a statically linked python would be...

This could well be a pointer in the right direction: OSX has this
dynamic library prebinding stuff that I don't understand, and
therefore ignored. ("don't understand" is a bit too strong, really,
but from the documentation I didn't get a clear picture of how I
should use it).

I someone wants to look into this: please do so.
www.cwi.nl/~jack        | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm