[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: MacPython and line-endings

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 05 Oct 2001 22:20:55 -0400

(Butting in but still without knowing the context :-)

> I wanted the interface to be easy to use. I suppose if you are a
> programmer, you should know what a Mac line ending looks like, but that
> may not fit with CP4E. If you were to define a constant somewhere, where
> would you define it???

Just one thing: for the Python programmer, a line end should *always*
appear as \n.  Files in text mode are supposed to maintain this
abstraction.  You should *not* have to know that on Windows it's
really \r\n, nor that on Mac it's really \r.  (BTW what is it on MacOS
X, which is Unix based?)