[Pythonmac-SIG] Applet/compilation oddities?

Michael Dunn mdunn@cantares.on.ca
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 13:25:35 -0400

    At 12:06 AM +0200 2001/10/5, Jack Jansen wrote:
>Michael,
>I'm not sure what you mean by "compiling with optimization on" in this
>context. Could you give a recipe of what you're doing?

    Run EditPythonPrefs and select Optimize Bytecode.  IDE's Save as
Applet and running BuildApplet are unaffected, but using compile()
(from py_compile) results in the smaller .pyo file, yet still
containing docstrings and multiline comments.  Yet I'm sure I read
somewhere that this option's main function is to remove docstrings.
I just assumed that comments would also be removed!!!  But neither
are.

>  Also, Python
>version info would be welcome.

   2.1

>  And also: does your problem occur with
>every script (i.e. also with the trivial print "hello world" script)?

    yes.  I also just discovered that every Mac applet I create (eg
from the IDE) has a data fork of 772 bytes!  Seems all the "data" is
in the resource fork.  How strange.

Michael Dunn     | Surround Sound Decoder & Stereo Enhancer
Cantares         | Self-Amplified Speakers, Test Equipment
74 George St.    | Ambisonic Surround Sound CDs and Recording
Waterloo, Ont.   | (519) 744-9395 (fax: 744-7129)
N2J 1K7          | mdunn@cantares.on.ca
Canada           | http://www.cantares.on.ca/