[Pythonmac-SIG] Building stuff - another silly newbie question!

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Mon, 05 Nov 2001 11:05:11 +0100

> I'm sure this is a silly question - but how do you build modules? I've been
> trying like phooey to build the modules that come with pygame in a
> non-carbon format, but I can't seem to do it. Likewise, I've been unable to
> get PyOpenGL to build (version 1.5.7) without errors.

Are you trying to build extensions under MacPython or under OSX commandline
Python?

For the latter everything should work by simply running setup.py (assuming the
extension module has one).

For the former that should also work, but distutils support in MacPython is
not as good as in Unix Python. I would definitely like to hear about problems
with it. What would work best is a report of what you're trying to install
(URL where I can download the distribution, please, so I can try for myself)
and how the build failed.

There's about a 80% chance that the problem is in the setup.py that comes with
the module, though: often people hard-code Unix pathnames (which also happen
to sort-of work on Windows) and such. In that case you'll be morally obliged
to send my feedback on to the module authors:-)
www.cwi.nl/~jack        | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm