[Pythonmac-SIG] PythonMac vs Python Unix for Mac OSX cgi

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g@Virginia.EDU
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 12:39:22 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Jacob Kaplan-Moss wrote:

> Does anyone have them both running together?

Yes. (But not a lot of testing on either one.)

> I'm getting my copy of OS X today, and one of the first things I want
> to do is install Python.  I'd love to install both UNIX Python and
> MacPython; are there any conflicts I should be aware of?

I haven't seen any and I can't think of any likely ones.
Right now they are rather disjoint:

MacPython files understand mac file types and if you double click on
a Python created file, it will be opened by MacPython. The file needs
to have Mac line-endings.

Unix Python runs from the command line, wants unix line-endings and
doesn't know anything about file-types or creators ( and won't respond
to AppleEvents to Open a file from the desktop.

They are sort of operating in two different domains.

> Someone should really sit down and write a Python on Mac OS X FAQ...
> maybe once I actually get both installed I'll give it a shot.

I'm working on a comparison of using Cocoa from (unix) Python + PyObjC
vs. Cocoa from Jython (going thru a Python<->Java and a Java<->ObjC
bridge.)

Let me know if you're interested in working on or testing either
PyObjC or Carbonmodule from the unix version -- they are both
a bit buggy and incomplete.

-- Steve Majewski