[Pythonmac-SIG] InterfaceBuilder, wxPython, tkinter & other GUIs

Chris Barker cbarker@jps.net
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 15:45:34 -0800

Jack Jansen wrote:

>it has one feature
> for which I can really see great opportunities: the main output file
> is an XML definition of the dialogs, windows, etc that you've made.

> To make things even more interesting we could probably also turn the
> XML into Rez input, so the dialog works on Pre-Carbon macs too. Or we
> could replace the MacOSButton base class with a Win32Button and
> generate the windows .rc file and have the base for a Windows program.
> And the same probably for other GUI packages...

wxWindows is going to a XML based dialog resource format as well. This
may have possibilities...

> We have to do a
> gazilion new dialogs for Windows and Mac for GRiNS, and the current
> process is rather painful, so if I can speed it up with a bit of work
> ahead I can justify the time.

Jack, I didn't realise that you work on a multi-platform app. How do you
guys handle the (at least) three different versions of GUI code that you
need? Do you use a X-platform toolbox? From what you said above, it
sounds like you do it all three times. Have you considered a
Cross-Platform toolbox instead?

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker,