[Pythonmac-SIG] Yet another MacPython beta

TattooMabonzoK. TattooMabonzoK.
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 11:59:13 +0100

Sorry for the duplicate post the first one went out a little bit to
earlier.

On Friday, March 16, 2001, at 10:22 , Jack Jansen wrote:

>> Yo Jack,
>>
>> The following is on OSX build 4K78 on my PowerBook Bronze Keyboard 500
>> Mhz
>> with 320 megs of RAM.
>
> Build 4K78 is Release Candidate, right? (Can't check right now, the
> machine is
> at home).

Correct.

>> Hmmm.. I'm not sure this works as advertised. If memory serves  I got an
>> error message about some corrupted prefs file(sorry for being vague :-/)
>> and then I got a message stating that "ConfigurePythonCarbon unexpectedly
>> quit...". I then deleted all Python related files and folder @
>> /Users/<home_folder>/Library/Preferences.
>
> If this worked fine after you removed the preferences files I'd say we
> should
> let it rest. Otherwise I would be interested in the exact error message.

I've tried re-installing but couldn't reproduce the problem. I guess it
had to do with some pre-installed prefs lef over.

>> I get a dialog stating that "ConfigurePython unexpectedly quit..." and at
>> the same time the warning about the finder activity.
>
> Hmm, maybe this is because the dialog is modal? As soon as I saw the
> ConfigurePython icon showing up I immedeately brought ConfigurePython to
> front, maybe it fails if you don't do that?

I'm not sure what you mean :-).
My prose wasn't too clear but what *I* meant to say is that basically
ConfigurePython just crashed.
I didn't mean to imply that it was somehow related to the fact the 'finder
activity' modal dialog was displayed.

>> Trying to run the applet manually I first get a dialog saying that "I
>> have
>> installed MacPython on a non-boot or on Mac OS X. Normally an alias..."
>>
>> Regardless of the option I choose (ie "Make alias" or "Copy"), I get an
>> error.
>>
>> In the case of the "Copy" option, the error message states that:
>>
>> in macostools.py on line 89 in copy
>> ofp = open(dstfss.as_pathname(), 'wb')
>> IOError: [Errno 13]: Permission denied: 'Mac OS
>> X:System:Library:CFMSupport:PythonCore 2.1b1'
>>
>> While the 'Creating PythonCore aliases..." dialog is displayed. I'm
>> logged
>> in as the default user who has admin privileges (but this is *not* root)
>
> Hmm, interesting. This all worked fine for me. Is anyone else here
> running OSX
> RC? If so: please let us know how you fared...
>
> I get the impression that under OSX Release Candidate the "Allow changes"
> padlock works differently than under Public Beta, its state appears to be
> remembered. It might be that I by chance had the padlock open when I
> installed

Hmmm. I don't know what the padlock is :-).

> and you had it closed. If you have the time, could you see whether there'
> anything you can do to make ConfigurePython run? (That is, short of
> enabling
> the root account and using that, I definitely don't want to revert to
> that).

Yep. That would be a big NO-NO :-).

> Also, an "ls -ld /System/Library/CFMSupport" would be worth looking at (to
> compare it to mine).

drwxr-xr-x  14 root  wheel  432 Mar 12 23:19 /System/Library/CFMSupport

TIA

= tmk =