[Pythonmac-SIG] "Official" MacPython docs: HELP!!!!

Chris Barker cbarker@jps.net
Fri, 09 Mar 2001 14:41:34 -0800

Gordon Worley wrote:

> Okay, documentation in the form of reference can be found at
> <http://www.nevada.edu/~cwebster/Python/WWidgets/Wreference.html>.
> This is pretty good, but some of the stuff should be left out that
> doesn't seem to work, like movie.  I realize that this may be a lot
> for you to convert to LaTeX, but I don't have the time to learn it
> and convert HTML to it.  Sorry.

I'll see what I can do. Was the doc originally written in HTML, or was
it converted from something else that might be easier to deal with?
Also, were you offering to trim out the stuff that doesn't seem to work.
I really don't have time to test it all myself.

> I'll take care of the Mac OS X section.  It's pretty short right now,
> so I'll go back and flesh it out with some links and more specifics.

Excelent!!!

> Okay, I guess I will go learn some LaTeX,

I personlly think LaTeX is wonderful, and the Python docs formats are a
pretty nice way to construct Python docs. I will warn you , however,
that the system is all set up to work well on a *nix system, and may
take a little tweaking to get to work on the Mac. I've been using my
Linux box to work on the doc. That being said, it would probably be
pretty easy to get the LaTeX itself working, and I'll worry about
getting it to fit into the whole Python-doc build system.

> Also, I'll write a blurb on the module browser for the IDE, since
> that deserves some mention since it is a very useful tool that the
> newbie might miss.  I don't have much experience with the debugger,
> but someone definately needs to write up or converte existing
> documentation about this.

Great!! Docs on the IDE would be wonderfull!! Please someonr volunteer
to do more.

> Wait, now that I think about it, why not extend the W section a
> little and include a link to the above.  Okay, here's the plan:  I'll
> flesh out the W section to explain more about what it is and why
> someone might use it.  Then, I'll stick in the link and write "here's
> this nice link, use it if you actually want to do something with W.
> Have fun! :-)".

That is a good option, particularly if I don't have time to do all that
LaTeX conversion, so let's start with that.

> To recap, here are the sections I'm working on to avoid duplication:
> Mac OS X, IDE mdoule browser, and W.  It's a small contribution, but
> every little bit helps.  :-)

It certainly does. Anyone else?

-Chris

--