[Pythonmac-SIG] Speed issues with Applet/Applications?

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Sun, 24 Jun 2001 22:34:24 +0200

Recently, dave@diddlysquat.f2s.com said:
> Related to that, does the stand alone application have to be so huge? I mean
> have a 68k resource file and a 136k text file and when built the size is 2.5m
> b!
> Is there any way to make it still work on machines that don't have pythoncore
> ,
> yet have it be smaller? Thanks.

There's a solution, but that's "Buy CodeWarrior, use macfreeze". This
will result in a binary that is smaller (because all the C extension
modules that aren't used in your script aren't included) and faster
(because everything is linked together, in stead of only packaged
together). It is however also a lot more work than simply dropping the
script on BuildApplication.

BuildApplication can't do any better than it does now, because it has
to include PythonCore as a whole (there's no way to split it up at
runtime).

I've been thinking about putting more modules in dynamically loaded
modules, but even that wouldn't help too much, there's quite a lot
that would be included anyway.