[Pythonmac-SIG] Future of MacPython? (Was: Type/creator issues with MacPython on OS X)

Dinu Gherman gherman@darwin.in-berlin.de
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 09:39:17 +0200

Jack Jansen wrote:

> For the future we're working on a way to make Python
> "line-ending-agnostic". I have a quick hack that will make both Unix
> and Mac lineendings work (but not MSDOS lineendings) for
> MacPython. But some people are thinking about the general problem, so
> also solving it for unix-Python and PythonWin and dos-lineendings,
> etc.

<mode type="heretic">
A delicate question if I dare say so: how relevant is this
really for future versions of MacPython? And/or how relevant
is the current MacPython interpreter itself, when you need
to add attributes like 'classic', while referring to it on
Apples current/new platform?
</mode>

Given that Apple has started selling (or will be doing so,
shortly) all their boxes with OS X preinstalled [1] - alas,
not enabled by default on all of them), wouldn't it make
more sense to write a Cocoa and/or Carbon front-end *only*
to a Darwin Python backend, similar to TeXShop [2] as a
front-end to (La)TeX?

Note that I have no idea if and when Apple is planning to
let their *classic* machinary die and switch maybe entirely
over to Darwin/Cocoa. It could be years, but it seems like
there are no dev tools for the classic/Carbon world on the
CDs coming with OS X (or I haven't digged very well) while
there are all for Cocoa (Interface and Project Builder, etc),
that happen to be very much the same as those on NeXTSTEP/
OpenStep, BTW...

If MacPython would be maintained in the future for the Mac
"die-hards" only, and/or for boxes too small, slow or old to
run OS X, I guess it is understandable if Windows/Unix folks
continue not to care about any PEPs that might need to mo-
dify interpreters on other platforms.

Regards,

Dinu

[1]  http://www.macworld.com/2001/01/09/osx.html