[Pythonmac-SIG] Python, Oracle and the Mac

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre@deirdre.net
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 22:01:58 -0700

>I am like a newborn babe with Python (first saw it about a week ago), and I
>like it a lot. Although a Machead my company develops advertising agency
>software in a 4GL which runs on multiple platforms (Win, Mac, Linux). The
>backend is Oracle 8 and we will soon be moving to 9. We need to import data
>into our system from a lot of different sources and the data tends to be
>LARGE, 100-300MB. I've written some of the data parsers for importing and
>they are SLOW in the 4GL. 10M file is about 6 minutes to process before
>import. I rewrote the same parser in Python and it's down to 15 seconds. The
>output from Python is a SQL loader .dat file. I'd get big points if I could
>get the whole import process running as a server process under Python, of
>course. I have seen a Oracle/Python module/object api which is supposed to
>work on a Windows or Unix platform.

Which one are you referring to?

>Does anyone know of something similar
>on the Mac OR has an idea of how to compile the Unix source to run under
>OSX? I'll be using Codewarrior for OSX which is due to ship any day. Also
>for Mac/Win/Linux.

While I'm a database person, I don't know much about the current
state of Oracle on the Mac (last I used it was when they shipped a
PowerPC version of Oracle; that's been AGES).

You can probably try the source on gcc if you've installed the
development tools, but the limiting factor is the client libraries.

Normally, when you compile oracle support (at least for PHP and I
recall the same issue with Python), you have oracle client stuff
installed. Does that even exist for MacOS X?
--
_Deirdre    Stash-o-Matic: http://weirdre.com    http://deirdre.net
"Cannot run out of time.... Is infinite time. You... are finite....