[Pythonmac-SIG] Tkinter on OSX works...

Daniel Lord dano@brightfire.com
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 22:04:31 -0700

0) You need and X Server (Tenon xTools or XFree86) installed--there is
no Quartz/Aqua Tkinter support.
If you can compile unix software and don't mind using opt-cmd-A to
change between Aqua & X, Xfree86 CVS source is free.
Xfree installation is not for the faint of heart. read about it here:
http://mrcla.com/XonX/start.html.

Otherwise, Tenon's commercial package is installable as a binary--simple
and 'rootless' meaning it runs in a window under Aqua.
It is pricey ($199) and more buggy with some X programs than XFree
though. XFree works for me.

1) Be sure you have the Mac OSX tools installed since the next steps
will require compilation and linking.

2) Go to http://www.scriptics.org and get tcl8.3.3 and tk 8.8.3 and
build (./configure, make, make install). They worked fine for me on OSX
10.0.3.

3) Get the Python 2.1 sources and build it from source. Read the README
        They suggest: "Run  configure with "OPT='-g -traditional-cpp'
./configure
         --with-suffix=.exe --with-dyld" .

        Well , since the shell is tcsh, this works better:
             set OPT='-g -traditional-cpp'; ./configure --with-dyld
	Trust me--you can leave out the --with-suffix=.exe, but the rest is
important.

     NOTE: read the README on  how to enable Tkinter.
	i.e Be sure to go into the Modules/Setup file and edit the tkinter
lines to ensure Tkinter support is built.
               The README give details. DO this before compiling.

I have done the above and have Tkinter running on OSX. Even Python
MegaWidgets (Pmw) works! Now if I could just get Apple's Perl to see
Tk....